Sunday, May 4, 2008

My Carbon Footprint



Carbon footprint is a measure of the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted through the combustion of fossil fuel. In the case of an organization, business or enterprise, it is part of their everyday operations; in the case of an individual or household, it is part of their daily lives or a product. When I measured my footprint at http://footprint/ .org.uk I scored 2.09 planets, below the United Kingdom average. My scores in the four categories were stuff 35%. food 24%, travel 22%, and home 19% In addition, found that the calculation of my footprint is 8.73 tones per annum. I will now mention some of my footprint –related problems and some possible solutions.

There are many problems connected with my footprint calculations. One problem is never getting rid of materials which cannot be recycled such as. Another issue is using only one method of transportation for a long period every day like a car. A final factor is eating a lot of fish or meat regularly-e.g. once a day.

Now I will outline some possible solutions which can help solve these problems. One solution is to try to get rid of waste or exchange them for recyclable products such as plastic cups, plastic plates and toilet tissue. Another possibility is to reduce my carbon dioxide emissions by using buses, cycling and even walking. A final alternative is to limit my intake of fish or meat and buy fresh vegetables which come directly from local farms such as tomatoes and any green vegetables.

In sum, I believe that we should measure our footprint in order to become aware of how can we help the earth to avoid a crisis. Therefore, regardless of how difficult it is, we should make sacrifices to prevent global warming and governments must work hand in hand to save the earth from imminent crisis.


1 comment:

Teacher TJ said...

Hi Majed. Nice to see that you're not too far behind in your posts for this blog although you have some catching up to do before June 5, 1 pm, the deadline for the final assessment. I'm also wondering what your week 17 PowerPoint presentation topic will be. Have you decided yet? Have a good weekend, TJ